Tuesday 3 December 2013

LESS APPRECIATED TALENT

Kai I have suffered today walahi!!. I have spent my entire day trying to find a way to upload mp3 files for you people O. There is no question in heaven and on earth I have not asked google. All that was left was for me to type my language into the google search bar to see if anything would come up. Luckily, I found a way to do it. You wouldn't believe that after spending my whole day uploading this, I was just advised by a lawyer that I might get sued. Omo, I don't even want to know the copy wright rules as I don't have cash to dash anyone so y'all have to go find the songs yourselves. Sorry. I am so sad because this means I just wasted my time.

Anyways, without further ado, todays post is about a select few artistes I really like in Nigeria but I feel that they are not as recognized and/or appreciated as they ought to be. I think they should be given more credibility. We are in an Era in the music industry right now where we have a lot of noise makers that create only party jams. I flip through radio stations and hear the same song played on every radio station at the same time but wait a minute; it’s actually not the same song, just a billion songs that sound exactly the same with the same voice, lyrics and beat. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate all genres of music but I am afraid that very soon there would be nothing to listen to in Nigeria other than party jams. So what if I am not at a party and I am in a sober mood, what should I listen to? Kukere? The matter?. If you even see the tittles of the songs sef, Kukere, Limpopo, kereshere, voomva abi na vavavoom, okpekete, skelewu. HIAN!!! In fact when my sister heard voom va abi wetin she said “They have finally insulted our intelligence”. I am not saying these songs should not exist O because we also need them but you people should help us and switch it up a bit na HABA, HABATICALLY!!!. Well as that is what majority of the country would rather listen to, Man must wack.



 I really appreciate certain artists that sing out of passion not just because of money because majority of us in this country only do things for the money and the day we learn how to separate money from certain things, this country we complain about a lot would witness a difference. Well you may not agree with my list below but this is MY opinion. If you feel I have left anyone out, feel free to state.

 1. DARE ART ALADE: This is a man that has thrown caution to the wind and sticks to what he loves. He is also very diverse as he has a few party jamz and personally, I think one of the best collabos in the industry. I don’t understand why people don’t like this guy, especially guys. Some people say he sounds like a white guy, well whatever. He has proved himself to be not just a musician, but a good performer, I mean check out his videos. Me, I like his songs and I can relate. Find the song: Carry dey go featuring Tuface and Naeto C. It's quite nice

 2. BRYMO: If you ask me, this man is one of the reasons why I feel my kids still have hope of listening to good music in this country even though half the time I don’t understand a word he says but his music takes me to a different realm. Despite all the challenges he is facing with his record label I pray for him that he will rise above defeat. Omo I’m not joking, I actually pray for this guy. His voice is remarkable and is easily identifiable in an industry where everyone sounds alike. I remember the first time I heard him, it was like
2007 abi 2008 on a track called “Bata somi we we we” (I am so sure I have murdered the name, not even sure if that is the name of the song or just the chorus). I quickly picked interest in the guy. His hit song ARA MBE was my ringtone for a long time then of course he is what made the hit song Oleku what it is today because trust me, not to diss anyone, but without his voice on that chorus, I doubt if I would have ever liked the song as I do not know what my dear brother Panshak says (no beef o, just stating my opinion). Listen to his songs If you were mine and Down. You might just fall in love with him too.

 3. BEZ: This young man has defied all belief that you have to conform to the norms of the industry to sell or to make it. If you watch this guy perform you will know that it is purely out of passion not out of what he can make. He even plays the bloody guitar. I would never forget my colleague constantly leaving the song super son on repeat for an entire day in the office. My all time favourite of his till date remains : More you. It's a great song with an equally nice video. You can find it on youtube.

 4. PRAIZ: Undoubtedly one of the strongest vocalists we have in the country. Though he sounds exactly like John Legend, he still has his own style. He can comfortably carry any note without cracking. He also isn’t commercial and that is one of the reasons why I really appreciate him. He was on the same season of project fame as Iyanya (lets not even talk about that one because he has MAD vocals but has refused to show us because he is doing commercial music but he must chop sha). Listen to his cover of Rihanas stay and you will understand what I am talking about. I personally prefer his version and I am not biased. I want to hear him do a cover for John Legends All of me. I can just faint.

 5. EGO: I would never forget the first time I heard this womans voice on Lagbajas Never far away track. I was blown away. She can carry any note and that is simply amazing. I think she can comfortably compete with any of the international stars. You can only imagine where she would have been if she had the right training and people supporting her (I mean maybe if she was abroad, well I really don’t know her history). I can listen to her all day because her voice is very soothing. Look for the song Never far away and listen to it

 6. JESSE JAGZ: I will sing his praises anywhere, anytime, any day anyone that doesn’t like it should go hug transformer #MIVOICE. He is a musician, writer and producer. I think he is a very good lyricist (biteme). Though he is the younger brother of the best lyricist this country has ever witnessed (MI) he doesn’t hide under his brothers shadow but does his own thing and is not afraid to speak his mind. Listen to his song Redemption. I love the song even if I did not understand one thing he said..hehehe

 7. EVA: I first took note of this bad ass chick when she performed on Cartairs Owo Ati swaga track. I remember I was watching their live performance on tv and when some of the artist on the track performed there was little or no response from the crowd but when this small framed girl jumped on stage, everyone was feeling her and even I stood up and started dancing. Though some say she sounds like Nicki Minaj, I don’t think that’s true at all. Maybe they say that because she is a rapper as well. Listen to her on Owo ati swaga and one of my faves EHH

 8. SOUND SULTAN: Though one of the oldest musicians of his generation, he is not as appreciated maybe because he doesn’t do fine boy swag or because he doesn’t roll his waist. I think he is one of the best in the country and should be given more credit. Though I admit that he hardly brings out tracks except his latest song called Natural something. My favorite remains Ajo dabi ile. Listen to it.

 9. BLACK MAGIC: I remember attending some show in Abuja that this boy was performing and everyone had this blank look on their face because they didn’t know who he was. It was only the lagos people in the crowd that stood up and were dancing. After a while the boy left frustrated (Abuja people una harsh sha). First of all, his voice is unique, his songs are on point maybe because he also doesn’t do fine boy swag. There’s one song about “bring out koboko and flog the bastard” or something like that. I have been looking for the name of the song so I can download it but no luck (if anyone has it, I won’t mind getting it). For those that don’t know who he is or have not heard any of his tracks, listen to his song Repete and you would never forget him.  

Okay people so you have seen my list of less appreciated talents. Even though some may argue that Dare and Sound sultan are popular, but I don’t think they are as appreciated as they should be. Please know that no particular research was done whatsoever. This list is based on my opinion due to conversations I have had and some articles I have read. Don’t agree with me or think I left out some people? Hit me up and state your opinion. *HUGS*

18 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with this list more. This is the first time I've heard any of Bez's works though. I thought I was playing d wrong file. Damn,He's good! Loool @ the song titles, I never took note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh Bez na baba o for his genre anyways. He's really good. They are all a breath of fresh air from all the noise that clouds our air waves.

      Delete
  2. Soty dalu!!!! I atotally agree with u except that I've not listened to Eva, Geez Jagz but my favs are Bez, Dare and Sound Sultan. My best of Bez is SAY and d video? Outta this world. Naija got talent shaa!!! Don't know about the reality show product (Amarachi)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love. I am happy you like it. Say is an awesome song and the video is just the best. You should listen to Eva and jesse jagz they are both good. Who is the reality show product? Praiz? and who's amarachi?

      Delete
  3. Hehehhehe.... I like nyiola- she has a great voice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh seen. I haven't really heard any of her songs. Can you recommend one

      Delete
    2. "toh bad" is one of her songs

      Vivio

      Delete
  4. My top 4 Praiz, Praiz, Bez n Dare.

    I had The stay cover on repeat for a pretty long time. I do agree with u, he did a better job. I'm hoping he gets around to doing a cover for all of me.

    Bez, one word amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually strtd likin bez sum days ago cos I watchd him live...Nice songs n gud entatainer too#listonpoint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is, you should watch his videos Say and More you. You will love him more

      Delete
  6. I totally agree with this list,especially jessie jagz,y he isn't highly recongnised is beyond me..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly. I don't know why. The guy is really good but you know niger we only know how to celebrate mediocrity

      Delete
  7. Boooo I totally agree wit u dat praiz did as better job than d original stay version.....I prefer his...........Kai!Wud luv 2hear him do John Legend's All of me! Nice job booo ........kip it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed. Would ask him to do it

      Delete
  8. I'm mostly not familiar with any øf these artists! Black Magic's Repete however, is dope as hell, that much I know! Will check out the rest. Thx my prettty. :-)
    Xo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah you should go and find each and every one of them and listen to them. But how come you don't know Brymo. Haven't you heard Oleku? he's the one singing the chorus and haven't you heard Ara mbe. really nice too

      Delete
  9. all na for money oh. p-square are my ibo brothers so naturally I'm biased towards them. but they never have lyrics sha

    ReplyDelete